Thursday, April 3, 2025

'Fabricated Video, Lookalike': Woman Techie's Note Before Suicide

A 28-year-old woman software engineer allegedly took her own life in Nagpur after leaving behind a purported suicide note, claiming she was the victim of a conspiracy involving a fake video and threats to her life, police said on Thursday.

The engineer, who worked for a company in Pune, had returned to her hometown Nagpur, where she lived with her father, brother, and sister-in-law, around 15 days ago.

On Tuesday morning, when only her father was at home located in Mankapur locality, she asked him to step out to buy breakfast and later hanged herself, according to the police.

After police was called to her residence, they recovered an identical suicide note written in English and Marathi, in which she accused two individuals named Ritesh and Pratim of being responsible for her death, they said.

She also alleged that her roommate had issued threats to kill her. Additionally, she mentioned that her mobile phone was stolen from the Indore airport on March 5. Despite her attempts to lodge a complaint, the police allegedly refused to register it, citing the lack of a mobile bill, they said.

In the note, the techie also claimed she was being framed through a fabricated video featuring a lookalike. She denied making any religious comments, suggesting certain individuals were trying to falsely implicate her, informed the police.

Her family members revealed she had travelled to Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu) from Prayagraj (Uttar Pradesh) before returning home. Since then, they had observed a change in her behaviour. She appeared to be under immense mental stress, refused to eat food prepared by others, and preferred cooking her own meals or staying hungry, said the police, quoting her family members.

A case of accidental death has been registered and an investigation was underway, they added.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Helplines
Vandrevala Foundation for Mental Health 9999666555 or help@vandrevalafoundation.com
TISS iCall 022-25521111 (Monday-Saturday: 8 am to 10 pm)
(If you need support or know someone who does, please reach out to your nearest mental health specialist.)


from NDTV News-India-news https://ift.tt/aCWg21h

Wednesday, April 2, 2025

Woman Kidnaps Live-In Partner After Fight In Bhubaneswar, Arrested: Cops

A 23-year-old woman was arrested in Bhubaneswar on Wednesday along with four people for allegedly kidnapping her live-in partner following a fight, police said.

A call was received at the Kharavel Nagar police station on Tuesday night that one Somanath Swain, 28, was kidnapped, and his family was asked to pay Rs 10 lakh for his release, they said.

The call was made by Somanath's sister, Anjita Nayak, who told the police that his partner, Prapti Sharma, might have knowledge about it, they added.

Commissioner of Police S Dev Datta Singh said the case was solved within six hours with the help of CCTV footage, mobile phone data, and five persons, including Prapti who hails from Jamshedpur, were arrested.

Somanath had been staying with Prapti at Jharpada for the last three years.

He had a quarrel with her on March 30 as he suspected her of having an affair with another man. Amid the heated exchange, Somanath assaulted Prapti, who then informed her elder sister about the incident, police said.

Her elder sister narrated the incident to her boyfriend Akash, who, along with three of his associates, arrived at Somnath's house in a car and abducted him, they said.

They kept him in a hotel and called his sister, demanding Rs 10 lakh.

Apart from arresting the five people, the police seized two cars used in the crime along with eight mobile phones, a wooden stick and a wooden plank.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News-India-news https://ift.tt/3BrsTPC

Tuesday, April 1, 2025

Gujarat Firecracker Factory Blast Death Count Rises To 21, 6 Injured

Twenty-one persons lost their lives while six others were injured on Tuesday after an explosion and blaze ripped through a godown where firecrackers were allegedly stored and manufactured illegally, leading to the structure collapse in Banaskantha district, officials said.

The explosion, which occurred at approximately 9:45 AM, flattened the godown in an industrial area near Deesa town, around 30 km from the Banaskantha district headquarters.

"All the deceased persons were originally from Harda and Dewas districts of Madhya Pradesh," said district collector Mihir Patel.

He said 21 people were killed and six injured.

"The identity of 19 persons has been established, while DNA samples are being taken to identify two others," he said.

The blast was so intense that it sent body parts of workers flying 200-300 metres away. The impact brought down the RCC slab of the structure. Even family members of workers staying on the same premises were crushed to death after blocks of slabs fell on them, the collector said.

Minister Rushikesh Patel told reporters that seven fire teams, eight ambulances, a State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) team and four bulldozers were rushed to the site for rescue operations.

Superintendent of Police Akshayraj Makwana said the casualties occurred after the slab of the godown collapsed following a blast.

He said forensic teams are trying to ascertain the cause of the explosion.

Makwana said the structure- Deepak Traders- was owned by father-son duo Deepak Mohnani and Khubchand Mohnani.

"Prima facie, they were stocking firecrackers illegally. Police have registered an FIR, and formed five teams for investigation. A special investigation team (SIT) headed by a Dy SP-level officer has also been formed," he said, adding that some persons have been rounded up for questioning.

Deesa Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Neha Panchal said the godown had initially obtained a licence for storing firecrackers but it was not renewed after it expired on December 31, 2024, due to lapses.

"They had applied for renewal of the license after it expired. After authorities found that the unit lacked proper facilities, the renewal process was put on hold," Panchal said.

Panchal stressed that the licence was only meant to store firecrackers.

"However, it seems they were prima facie illegally manufacturing firecrackers. Strong action will be taken for operating without permission," she said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief and announced an ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh to the next of family of the victims.

"Deeply saddened by the loss of lives in the explosion at a firecracker factory in Banaskantha, Gujarat. Condolences to those who lost their loved ones. May the injured recover soon.

"The local administration is assisting those affected. An ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of each deceased. The injured would be given Rs 50,000," the PMO posted on X.

Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel also expressed grief and declared financial assistance of Rs 4 lakh to the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured persons.

"The incident of the death of workers due to fire and slab collapse in a firecracker godown in Deesa is heart-breaking. My heartfelt condolences are with the relatives of the deceased in this hour of grief," Patel tweeted.

Madhya Pradesh CM Mohan Yadav said the untimely death of workers hailing from his state in the incident was saddening.

Yadav on Tuesday night announced financial assistance of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 each to the injured workers.

A team of Madhya Pradesh officials headed by a Cabinet minister is headed to Banaskantha for coordination.

"Cabinet Minister Nagar Singh Chauhan accompanied by police and administration officials has been sent to the site for coordination. In this hour of crisis, our government stands with the families of the victims and is committed to provide all possible help," Yadav said.

Meanwhile, opposition parties in Gujarat targeted the ruling BJP government, accusing it of negligence.

Congress MLA Jignesh Mevani demanded that the government provide Rs 1 crore as ex gratia to the families of the deceased and conduct a thorough investigation.

"The government is responsible for this tragedy. So far, 18 people have died. Gujarat's BJP government does not seem to care about people's well-being unless it impacts their election results," Mevani said.

He asked the government to release the correct toll of people killed in the incident.

AAP's Gujarat president, Isudan Gadhvi, criticised the administration for failing to monitor illegal firecracker factories.

"How can illegal factories operate without the administration's knowledge? Strictest action should be taken against those responsible, including BJP leaders and officials. If the government has the will, they should demolish the property of those guilty," he said.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News-India-news https://ift.tt/hQngeRy

'Fabricated Video, Lookalike': Woman Techie's Note Before Suicide

A 28-year-old woman software engineer allegedly took her own life in Nagpur after leaving behind a purported suicide note, claiming she was ...